Rocket Pizza with Poached Eggs

I loved this pizza for two reasons. One: it was super fast to throw together (like, 20 minutes) and was so delicious. Two: it made me feel really French. The first time I ever saw an egg on a pizza was at this super touristy restaurant called Pizza Pino on the Champs Elysees. I must have been, like, 13 and I had never seen such a bizarre sight in my life as an egg on a pizza. I'm glad I learned to accept it, though, because it is so good. A poached egg definitely turns a pizza into a knife-and-fork meal, but it's worth it due to all of that runny-yolk goodness.

P.S. What's with the "rocket"? Yes, I know it's just a fancy word for arugula. Deal with it, it makes me feel European. (As if the poached egg pizza wasn't enough...)


Rocket Pizza with Poached Eggs
From Cooking Light
  • 1 package refrigerated pizza crust dough (I used focaccia flatbread dough from Trader Joe's)
  • Cooking spray
  • 1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
  • 1/2 cup (2 oz.) shaved fresh parmesan or romano cheese, divided
  • 1 tablespoon white vinegar
  • 4 large eggs
  • 5-oz. package baby arugula
  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 450 F. Unroll pizza dough on a baking sheet lightly coated with cooking spray; place in preheating oven. Bake as oven heats for 7 minutes.

Combine the ricotta and 1/4 cup parmesan/romano. Remove pan from oven. Quickly spread cheese mixture over dough, leaving a 1/2-inch border around the edges. Return pan to oven and bake for 5 minutes.

While pizza bakes, add water to a large skillet, filling two-thirds full. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer. Add vinegar. One by one, break each egg into a small bowl and pour gently into the pan. Cook 3 minutes or until desired degree of doneness. Carefully remove eggs from pan using a slotted spoon.

Combine arugula, remaining 1/4 cup parmesan/romano cheese, and the remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Toss well. Top pizza with arugula mixture and eggs; sprinkle with extra pepper if desired. Cut into 4 pieces.