Orecchiette with Greens and Radishes
From Bon Appetit
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 3/4 cup coarse fresh breadcrumbs made from whole wheat bread
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 pound orecchiette
- Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 bunch radishes (about 6-8), sliced into 1/4" rounds
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 bunches greens, such as escarole or chard, trimmed and chopped
- 1 cup finely grated Parmesan
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black peppercorns
Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water, stirring occasionally, until tender but still firm to the bite. Drain, reserving 2 cups of pasta cooking liquid.
Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon oil and butter in a large deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add radishes; cook, stirring often, until browned in spots but still crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl.
Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil and garlic to skillet; stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add greens and 1 cup pasta cooking liquid and cook, stirring often, until greens start to wilt. Add pasta and cheese; stir until cheese melts and sauce is slightly thickened, adding more pasta cooking liquid by 1/4-cupfuls if too dry. Stir in radishes, lemon juice, and pepper. Season with salt. Sprinkle with breadcrumb mixture.