Japanese Grilled Eggplant

So for the blog I usually tend to stick with recipes for complete meals, whether it's an entree, a soup/stew or salad. But I made a great side dish tonight that I had to share.

It's a Japanese-style grilled eggplant that Joe and I both loved. I served it along with the soba noodles with spinach I blogged about a couple weeks ago. They complemented each other perfectly and made a tasty, healthy Asian-inspired vegetarian meal.


Japanese Grilled Eggplant
  • 2 large or 4 small eggplants
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
  • 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons rice vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon ginger root, grated
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup scallions, sliced
Preheat an outdoor grill or stove-top grill pan and spray lightly with some cooking spray. Slice the eggplants on the diagonal into 1/2-inch-thick pieces. Grill, turning as needed, until lightly charred and tender, about 7 to 9 minutes. Remove to a serving plate.

In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, lemon juice, vinegar, ginger, and garlic until blended. Drizzle over eggplant and then sprinkle the eggplant with scallions.