Chickpea Piccata

One of my favorite things about the post-Christmas week is that I get to try out the new cookbooks that I've invariably been given. This year, the first new book I'm exploring is Appetite for Reduction by Isa Chandra Moskowitz, the same lovely lady who gave the world my favorite vegan cookbook, Veganomicon.

This new book is different in that the recipes are intended to be more health-conscious. I love Veganomicon with every fiber of my being, but a lot of vegan recipes tend to be heavier on the oil and carbs, making them less healthy than what I want to eat regularly. This new book resolves that dilemma, and from what I can tell, it does so very handily.

This chickpea piccata is a delicious recipe that I would definitely make again. It was fast and flavorful, and I didn't feel gross afterwards. Perfect for a post-holiday meal.


Chickpea Piccata
From Appetite for Reduction
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 1 cup thinly sliced shallots
  • 6 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
  • 2 tablespoons bread crumbs
  • 2 cups vegetable broth
  • 1/3 cup dry white wine (I used pinot grigio)
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • A generous pinch of dried thyme
  • One 16-oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 1/4 cup capers with a little brine
  • 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 1 big lemon)
  • 4 cups arugula
  • One box of spaghetti
 Cook the spaghetti according to package instructions and set aside. Meanwhile, heat a large, heavy-bottomed pan over medium heat. Saute the shallots and garlic for about 5 minutes, until golden. Add the bread crumbs and toast them by stirring constantly for about 2 minutes. They should turn a few shades darker.

Add the vegetable broth, wine, salt, pepper, and thyme. Turn up the heat, bring the mixture to a rolling boil, and let the sauce reduce by half; it should take about 7 minutes. Add the chickpeas and capers and let heat through, about 3 minutes. Add the lemon juice and turn off the heat.

Place the arugula in your pasta bowls. Place the spaghetti over the arugula and ladle the piccata over the spaghetti.

Variations: Use mashed potatoes instead of pasta.