Ricotta and Roasted Tomato Baked Potato

I've been on a fair number of diets over the years, most notably the Atkins Diet (back in my carnivore days) and the South Beach Diet (easier on vegetarians, though not by a whole lot). The first lesson I learned from them is that carbs are downright evil, and no carb more so than the sinister baked potato.

Well, the second lesson I learned from them is that those diets don't really work, at least not in the long run. Nobody can resist those evil carbs for long without going completely bonkers. Plus, a calorie is a calorie, whether it comes from carbs or protein or fat, and you can lose weight and eat heathily while eating carbohydrates, as long as your diet is balanced.

Anyway, I'm glad that those silly diets are far behind me and that I can enjoy delicious (but still healthy!) meals like this one. I grabbed this idea from Real Simple, and it's so easy and yummy. If I were still a meat eater, I probably would have this with a grilled steak or something, but since I love cows I just paired it with a nice, light green salad.


Ricotta and Roasted Tomato Baked Potato
From Real Simple
  • 4 medium to large russet potatoes
  • 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
  • 1 pint grape tomatoes
  • 4 sprigs fresh thyme
  • 1/2 cup part-skim ricotta (more if you like)
Heat oven to 400 F. Rub the potatoes with the teaspoon of olive oil. Place on a rimmed baking sheet and bake, turning occasionally, until tender and easily pierced with a paring knife, 65 to 75 minutes. On a second rimmed baking sheet, toss the tomatoes with the tablespoon of olive oil, thyme, a teaspoon of kosher salt, and about a quarter teaspoon of black pepper. Fifteen minutes before the potatoes are done, add the tomatoes to the oven and roast them until they burst, 12 to 15 minutes. Split the potatoes and, dividing evenly, top with the ricotta and the tomato mixture.